Saturday, December 6, 2008

I received a phone call earlier today asking if I would attend the funeral of one of the street people. I remember faces and stories but names often escape me. His name was Vale and he was just 30 years old. Once I heard about him I remember him from from when I first started working here in Romania. I purchased farm equipment for an orphanage where the teen boys were trying to farm by hand. I had seen Vale on the streets over the years. It was rainy, cold and muddy, not a pleasant time to be on the streets - not a pleasant time to be buried. The street people by and large die young. It is one of the sadder aspects of the life here in Romania.

This evening a lady came to see me that runs a center here in Sofronea. She currently has 6 people in residence, most with mental problems. She sought help a few places and was told to come and see me. This seems like a natural, right in my home village. Two of the residents used to be in Mocrea. They need food and volunteers. I promised to bring some food on Monday and will work on getting some people to help there. I told her I did not think I was strong enough yet to come and volunteer there for a whole day but would do what I could. I'll write more about this new project next week.

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: