Monday, May 11, 2009

More food to Apple Way

We provided over 200 boxes of food in that really poor neighborhood. We are scheduled to distribute potatoes on Saturday but I am not quite sure how to do it. The simplest way would be to gather 200 plastic shopping bags - I could put 10 lbs. or more in each bag - but bags cost and I hate to waste the money that could go for food! I will have to give this some more thought.

Peter and I went and bought some building materials to help rebuild the shack for Claudia and her family that had burned down. I wish I had taken a picture of what they had done so far. Several boards were nailed to start some walls but they were all different lengths. I asked Claudia if they had a saw - no. We bought a saw as well as a hammer and nails along with the wood and tar paper. I have been surrounded by poverty for a long time and am somewhat used to it - but I never want to get hardened to it. Claudia and I were chatting after Peter left and she looked pained. I asked what the problem was and she looked embarrassed but I persisted. She had one of her 3 children in her arms (I do not think she is out of her teens) and she hung her head a moment before muttering "we are hungry". The family of 5 have been allowed to sleep at an Aunt shack since they were burned out but they are given no food. Claudia's husband had been sick for 3 days and not been able to seek day work. Claudia said the worse part was when the oldest one cried because he was hungry and she said she cuffed him. She felt so terrible thinking she is a bad mother. I took them to the store. As I drove off I cried.

No comments: