Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yesterday was our day at Mocrea. Mocrea is the State mental hospital. We now go once a week and have amassed a lot of craft supplies, puzzles and games. I am hoping to find more volunteers to go with us, even once a month would help.

George is a patient there and has been for around 7 years. He was involved in an work related explosion that has left him with only one eye, cranial damage as well as other injuries. George does not receive compensation as he was working "black" - not legally employed. He doesn't need to be housed in a mental hospital. When I met George he was a very glum dour man - he has no hope for a better life. He is not interested in hearing about the Lord.

I talked to him about the possibility of a group home with maybe 4 men living there. George said he can wash dishes and clothes. This may be a really worthwhile project in the future, a group home. The administrator and I have discussed it and she said I could get all sorts of State help once I acquired the actual house.

George looks forward to our weekly visits. He will sometimes play chess with me. He does stay and socialize which is a big step forward for him, he is not always in the deep depression.

No comments: